Pages

Friday, September 14, 2007

Darby

Darby
Jonathon Scott Fugua
5 Stars

While sitting at the library this week and watching my children play I looked up to see this book on the shelf. I have seen it there before, but I have never picked it up. Since it had an Iowa Children's Choice Award sticker on it I finally decided to pick it up and give it a chance. It's a children book and about 250 pages. I believe every child - probably around 10 years old - should read it and know the history that battled our southern states.

Darby Carmichael is a girl after my own heart. She wants to grow up to be a news paper girl. Her best friend, Evette, and her write a column for the Bennettsville Times in Marlboro County, South Carolina. While writing is great and she loves receiving all the compliments, it doesn't take long for her to realize that while a good newspaper girl only tries to tell the truth some people don't always want to hear it.

Set in 1926 this book examines the black/white issues that small southern towns faced. I personally spent many years growing up in the south and love small southern town stories such as this one. Darby, and her family, amazed me with her courage.

This was a very good story based on real interviews. It is very easy to read so there are no excuses!

No comments: