Pages

Monday, March 17, 2008

The Secret Life of Bees

The Secret Life of Bees
Sue Monk Kidd
4 Stars


I finally found time on my list and picked up The Secret Life of Bees. I know people rave about it but I hadn’t had time to read it yet. I finished it in 24 hours and I have to agree, it was a good book. I don’t think it was my absolute favorite of all times, but it was a good book. One I would recommend reading.

The story is about a 14 year old girl, Lily Owens, who lives in South Carolina and the account of her summer in 1964 that changed her life. Living on a peach farm with her father, Lilly is growing up with one crazy memory of her mother and trying to come to terms with her life and figure out who she really is. After an incident in town with the lady her father has hired to watch her, Rosealeen, they find themselves on the run and searching for more answers about her mother.

Lilly and Rosealeen find themselves in Tiburon, South Carolina and working at a bee keeper’s house. Not only do they learn about bees and how to keep them, they learn about themselves and grow that summer. Lily deals with love, religion, faith, racism and heartache. It’s a fantastic journey.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

I really liked this one. It's been a few years since I've read it, so I don't remember exactly what I liked about it! That always gives me an excuse to read a book again.