Pages

Monday, July 14, 2008

Hattie Big Sky

Hattie Big Sky
Kirby Larson
4 ½ Stars

Set in 1918, this is the story of orphan Hattie Brooks, who leaves what little family and friends she knows for Montana to settle her late Uncles claim. The book is a Newberry Award Nominee and a great historical fiction written for Young Adults.

I first saw this book recommended on another book blog and was so excited when I found it in the stores during a vacation. I loved the little stories of Hattie’s life, the work and dedication that settlers had in those days. At first I was disappointed with the end, it was a twist that I was not expecting, but after re-reading the ending I felt more closure. I do hope there will be a second book containing more of Hattie’s life.

The book was well-researched and made history fun to the reader. It totally made me grateful for all the modern convinces that we have today. The only reason that I didn't give it a full 5 stars is that I did have to think about the ending and re-read it. It wasn't so bad that I wouldn't recommend it, I actually liked it the more I thought about it. I recommend this book to anyone!

No comments: