Pages

Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Red Pyramid

The Red Pyramid
Rick Riordan
4 Stars
516 pages


The Red Pyramid is the first book in Riordan’s new Kane series. After finishing the Percy Jackson books I was really excited to find out that he has this new series as well.  The book centers around the two Kane teenage siblings; Cater, who grew up traveling with his father, and Sadie who grew up in London with her grandparents.  Pushed together by a series of tragic events, Sadie and Carter find themselves in a world-wind adventure.

The book is very fast paced, I felt like I couldn’t catch my own breath before something else was happening or someone else was trying to deceive the Kane siblings.  I wish that we could have had at least one chapter or two of “background” before they all took off on the adventure.  There is a lot of action, which is great, but in this case it almost made me feel rushed.  I would have liked it if the kids could have had a few more breaks so we could all catch our breath.

Unlike Percy Jackson, The Red Pyramid follows the Egyptian Gods.  I think if you enjoy Percy Jackson, Harry Potter, Fable Haven – or any young adult mystical/magic reading then you will overall enjoy this series.  I don’t believe it will be my favorite out of this category, but certainly not my least.  I am looking forward to where book two takes us!

No comments: