Pages

Friday, April 1, 2011

Wickham's Diary

Wickham’s Diary
Amanda Grange
5 Stars
195 pages

A few years ago I enjoyed a book by author Amanda Grange, Mr. Darcy’s Dairy.  So when I heard about the release of her newest book, Wickham’s Diary, I thought it would be such a fun book to read!  I was not disappointed.

Obviously the book is just what it is called – an account of Wickham’s life, written in journal style.  Since we know very little of Wickham and his background from Austen, I would be willing to believe this was such a fun story to dream up!  I completely enjoyed this book; it had a light, fun storyline, perfect for the beach vacation that I took it on.  Totally entertaining and insightful to Wickham’s past, readers learn more about his family, his upbringing and his relationship with Darcy.

Let me begin with a few words on Wickham’s mother, what a selfish character!  She was so annoying and with a mother like that, Wickham hardly stood a chance to grow up to be a decent man.  On the other hand, while his father wasn’t focused on much, I believe if he would have taken after his father, Wickham might have turned out pretty responsible.

This short (under 200 pages) book was charming.  I almost found myself feeling sorry for Wickham a time or two, but by the end of the book, he was the true villain that Austen created.  Grange did a fantastic job creating this journal; I would love to see her write more “diary” books from other Austen character.

1 comment:

Mark and Aupreille said...

Have you read Mr. Knightley's Diary? I love that one too, I will have to get this one about Wickham.