Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Unclutter Your Life in One Week

Unclutter Your Life in One Week
Erin Rooney Doland
3 Star
227 pages



I am always looking for new ways to organize and reorganize my house and life!  I saw this book on display at the library and it totally jumped out at me.  I was excited to find some new tips and maybe come up with a plan for a couple problem areas in my house.

After reading (mostly skimming) through this book I was disappointed.  I think if you work full time, are single, or a couple without kids, that live in a large city that you would really enjoy this book.  I just didn’t find many of the ideas that she presented fitting into my life.  I am a stay at home mom of four young kids.  One is at school, which frees some of my time, but the younger three, that demand the most time, are still at home.  The author suggests 3 projects a day, one in the morning, one at work and one at night.  I could maybe manage one of the projects a day, but certainly not 3.

I really think what I am trying to find is an "organize the family" life book.  I need the most help with kid toys, clothes baby items.  The book never address kids, kids room, or kid clutter.

That being said, I don’t think that this was a “bad book” I just didn’t feel like it was for me.  Every day at an activity you could do at your office.  I don’t work outside the home, and while our “home office’ really needs a make-over, this book just didn’t have the tips and suggestions that I was looking for.  I did enjoy the section about cook books though.

I think that Doland did have some good suggestions, for example, not holding on to sentimental clutter.  I also do most likely hold on to books much longer than I need too.  Some of the other suggestions she had I totally disagree with. I believe in having a food storage, and a couple months supply of certain items.  I believe in case of an emergency these items aren't considered clutter, but  are essential for our family.  They only are clutter in my mind if I can't find a proper place to put them away.  

In the end, I suggest if you are looking for some organization tips and you see this book at your library it’s worth checking out and skimming through.

No comments: