Pages

Monday, July 2, 2007

The Work and the Glory Series

The Work and the Glory Series
Gerald N. Lund
4 1/2 Stars

If you want to learn more about the history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and you are not to big into reading straight history books, this is a good way to go about it. However, know that this might take you a long time to read, so I suggest block off an entire year for the first time through. There are 9 novels and each one is at least 500 pages.

The story revolves around a fictitious family, the Steeds. They come in contact with Joseph Smith and the story goes from there. Each chapter has citations where the author cites his sources of the events that really happened in history. If you can keep it straight that anything that happens to this particular family is fiction it is a good way to learn church history.

Most readers out there might know there are a few movies now that follow these books. I had picked up the first book in this series at least 4 times and failed in reading it until I watched the first movie. It really helped. I then plowed through all the books. I am not too fond of the second or third movie, however. The third one was a big disappointment if you have read the books. Entire characters were left out. I guess I just need to understand it's Hollywood and it will never be as good as my imagination.

No comments: