Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Pride and Prescience

Pride and Prescience
Carrie Brebis
3 Stars

It was Miss White, with the rope, in the ballroom. This book reminded me of a game of clue. It is a mystery and I picked it to read this week in honor of Halloween. I'm not much of a horror fan, and real life mysteries tend to really freak me out, so this was perfect. It was a fun read, but I must say pretty predictable.
The story starts where Pride and Prejudice ends. Mr. and Mrs. Darcy have just wed when Caroline Bingley announces her engagement and marries an American, when within the same week strange things start to occur. Fires, sleep walking, carriage accidents, even an attempted suicide. I have never been fond of Caroline (who is?!) but I found myself feeling very sorry for her in this book.
The author has a whole line of books based on Jane Austen books that I will be keeping in mind for the future. It's under 300 pages, so if you are looking for a good one-nighter or weekend book this would be something I would suggest.

No comments: