Pages

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
J.K. Rowling
5 stars

When I first read this series I didn’t enjoy book three or book five. Re-reading however, I was able to enjoy book five a lot more this time. I also spent some time watching all the movies after re-reading this book. To say that there is a lot left out of the movie is such an understatement. I think that they cast Dolores Umbridge so well it was scary, but the occlumency lessons lacked in the movie as did the visions from Voldemort and the final fight scene in the Ministry of Magic.

I loved that Harry saved Dudley at the beginning of this book. I love it even more knowing that in the end Dudley actually appreciates what he has done for him. I really enjoyed seeing Harry teach the DA classes. I thought it was interesting to see some of Snape’s memories. I was disappointed that the movie left out such important parts to some of the characters story, like when we see Neville at the Hospital during Christmas. I absolutely loved the way that Fred and George left Hogwarts with style (the movie didn’t do this justice at all).

I believe one reason that I haven’t enjoyed this book in the past is that Harry does seem very whiney and “wo-is-meish” in this book. Perhaps it’s part of him being a teenager, but I want him to get over himself and get on with it.

I’m glad that this book grew on me this time around.

No comments: