Pages

Friday, October 5, 2007

Friday - Religious

Reading is an essential part of religion to members of all different faiths. No matter what your religious preference, each one has their set of scriptures to study. Reformers like Martin Luther, John Calvin, and John Huss made it possible for each of us to have Bibles in our home. They allowed us all the freedom read and study religion on our own level, on our own time and in our own space. How grateful we should be for this freedom they gave us.

Abraham Lincoln once said, "This Great Book...is the best gift God has given to man. All the good the Savior gave to the world was communicated through this book. But for it we could not know right from wrong."

For the past few months I have been reading and studying the New Testament. It has been fascinating to me. This is not the first time I have read or studied it, but each time you find and see different things as a reader. I have been reading the writings of Paul and I love the inspiration in this scripture I found just this past week:
"For God hat not given us the spirit of fear; but of power and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timonthy 1:7.

I am a creature of habit. I have made it a habit to read from my scriptures every day as my children fall asleep for their nap. I have to do this every day now. This gives me a nice quiet time to read and ponder. It also gives me a refueling time since our afternoons are sometimes harder than our mornings. I have to read straight through a book, so I use a chart so I can mark off what chapters I have read. My husband on the other hand is a subject scripture reader. He loves to be asked questions so he can research them and find answers through his study.

What kind of religious reader are you? Do you have habits? Do you read by subject or straight through? How has this type of reading helped you?

3 comments:

{Erica} said...

I am a subject scripture reader. Growing up we read straight through which has benefits as well, but I find that if I choose a subject or a question I'm trying to learn more about, or trying to emulate, or trying to answer I study that subject with voracity until I feel as though I have either learned how to emulate,or learned more about the subject or found my answer. I admit that my studying has yet to become a habit, but I'm working on that....

librarylass said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
librarylass said...

You are right, every religion has its own texts, and for atheism, Darwin's 'Origins of species' is insanely technical, but interesting. I'm still trying to plod through it and understand the principles, but as a basis of scientific fact, its fascinating stuff!

At the end of the day it makes us all better people, doesn't it?