How well do you know your favorite fiction? I thought I would mix it up today and present a little quiz. Here are the first sentences of works of fiction I randomly pulled from my shelf this morning. I even made it easy and gave you choices to match them up to. Let's see if you can figure it out!
1. On the 24th of February, 1815, the watch-tower of Notre-Dame de la Garde signalled the arrival of the three-mastered Pharaon, from Smyrrna, Trieste, and Naples.
2. Rain fell that night, a fine, whispering rain. Many years later, Meggie had only to close her eyes and she could still hear it, like tiny fingers tapping on the windowpane.
3. A throng of bearded men, in sad-colored garments, and gray, steeple- crowned hats, intermixed with women, some wearing hoods and other bareheaded, was assembled in the front of a wooden edifice, the door of which was heavily timbered with oak, and studded with iron spikes.
4. It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.
5. I ran my fingers across the page, feeling the dents where he a had pressed the pen to the paper so hard that it had nearly broken through.
6. A cold December wind was blowing, and Theresa Osborne crossed her arms ans she stared out over the water.
7. The two men appeared out of nowhere, a few years apart in the narrow, moonlit lane.
8. It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single girl in possession of her right mind must be in want of a decent man.
9. In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.
10. Imagine a ruin so strange it must never have happened.
a. The Scarlet Letter, Nathaniel Hawthorne
b. Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
c. The Count of Monte Cristo, Alexandre Dumas
d. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, J.K. Rowlings
e. The Poisonwood Bible, Barbara Kingsolver
f. Eclipse, Stephenie Meyer
g. Inkheart, Corelia Funke
h. The Hobbit, JRR Tolkien
i. Me and Mr. Darcy, Alexandra Potter
j. Message in a Bottle, Nicholas Sparks
What are you answers? Some are sooo easy! What is your favorite fiction to read? Please share!